Saturday, August 30, 2008

Making Salsa

The day starts with a trip to the farmers' market.  Tomatoes, chiles, cilantro, onions, and garlic.
Starting with washing the cilantro and blanching the tomatoes.  (Do you see that colander?  I got that as part of a wedding present for my first (wedding) in 1970 - it was an entire set of tupperware - this is the only piece I have left.  I bet it looks like an antique by now!)
A box of chiles, just out of the roaster.  I wish I could show you how they smell!  The entire house smells heavenly.
Bowls of chiles and tomatoes.  Getting ready to cut up the onions, garlic, and cilantro.
This my garbage bowl after a day of slicing, dicing, and peeling.  Note the latex gloves.  You do not want to handle these peppers with bare hands!
The product?  A bunch of pretty jars of salsa.
I'm finally done.  It's 8:51 p.m., 67º outside and 83º inside!  An entire day of work for 17 pint jars of salsa.  But, boy, is it good!

4 Comments:

Blogger kel said...

Any chance you would share the real recipe? I am desperately trying to learn to cook!! And it DOES look so yummy....

9/10/2008 7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary Christine,
Wow does this look delicious. Homemade salsa is one of my favorite things. YUMMY!! I'm sure that you and yours are going to enjoy every bite!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I hope this birthday and year will be WONDERFUL one!!! It is nice for me to meet up with another 57 er...:) I have a friend who lives in Loveland, Colorado. She loves it there! Peace, jeanne leigh

12/08/2008 10:25 AM  
Blogger steveroni said...

Don't know anything about salsa OR cooking, but I DO know about being late with birthday wishes--how WELL I know that!

Belated birthday wishes from Steve E.

Tomorrow, Tuesday, I'm riding to Lakeland FL (3 Hrs) to celebrate a belated birthday (my daughter Kathy, December 10. Cripes! I'm nervous. Whatever happens, I'll have a nice ride home to look to.

12/15/2008 6:59 PM  
Blogger Wait. What? said...

Yummy! My husband makes this once a week and does so wonderfully I think I will encourage him to jar it!

5/04/2009 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home