Thursday, March 23, 2006

Icon



After the second day. You cannot believe how much work went into this - it sure doesn't look like it...

At the end of day three. Gee.
At the end of the fourth day. I am still not sure this is going to be anything I am going to feel good about.

The end of day 5.


This is it! My first icon. It is hard to photograph it because it has a sheen and it is hard to see the gold halo. That is really 24 karat gold. What a process it was to make this.

I am so incredibly grateful for the experience. I think I will probably continue to do this and I hope that my icons will get better. I just love this one, not because it is great, but because it is an icon of St. Michael the Archangel.

10 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

that is beautiful! wow so talented

3/23/2006 8:16 PM  
Blogger Gooey Munster said...

WOW! This is amazing!

3/24/2006 12:04 PM  
Blogger JJ said...

I'm with Sober Chick.........
That is amazing.
And to think I just painted a tree..lol.
I see you,
JJ

3/25/2006 5:31 AM  
Blogger dAAve said...

GREAT STUFF!!
It's neat to watch the progression.

I'm still trying to learn spray paints. LOL

3/26/2006 6:14 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

Beautiful!! I would have never gotten past day 2 lol

4/08/2006 1:57 PM  
Blogger madameplushbottom said...

this is really pretty. what kind of medium are you working in? I know the real beauty isn't coming through via photograph so I just can't imagine how amazing this is to look at in real life.

Excellent job!

4/08/2006 9:44 PM  
Blogger Mary Christine said...

This was done in 14th century methodology. No modern or synthetic materials were used. The "paint" was egg tempera - which is egg yolk mixed with vinegar and pure pigment. The halo is made from 24 karat gold leaf - adhered to a clay base that is painted on and burnished. It is an amazing process.

4/09/2006 8:23 AM  
Blogger Scott M. Frey said...

that is mind blowing.... wow!

7/14/2006 10:27 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

I am very impressed, even more so after reading your explanation of the process!

3/04/2008 6:17 AM  
Blogger steveroni said...

Mary, there is so much I am learning about you. What talent--and you can run, too -grin!

You have alluded to your artistic bent, but I had no idea, until I see it here. Thank you SO much for clueing me into this...there are things I'd like to say, but I'm so tired (also) I'm afraid they would come out stupid-like.

Suffice it to say I consider myself fortunate to know you.
Steve

6/08/2009 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home